Friday, December 03, 2004

Blech

So, in the last year that I haven't been accomplishing much on Seductotron, I've been watching my niece grow through her first year. It's really interesting watching a human learn how to interact with their environment, and I feel that it's given me some critical insights into what must be done in order for a project such as the one I envision to get off the ground.

The problem of a self-programming program isn't completely new, and I've encountered is as a paradox before. I wanna' say that it was Ashby? Anyhow, that's not really important. I'm impervious to knowledge. The point is, it seems a paradox. You can't write a meta-program that writes a sub-program without imposing the constraints of a program upon the meta-program that writes the sub-program in the first place. So, it seems that we hit a cognitive limit when we try to envision a truly self-educating program. You can divorce the program from the determinative outcome of a defined data set, but you can't divorce it from the meta-determined outcome of a defined procedure.

Anyhow, all that is really just an exposure of my absolute ignorance. Most of my education was a tragically wasted endeavor. Naturally, the following is merely a travesty of it.

The point for me, is that if it seems a paradox then it stands to reason that I've hit a cognitive limit. However, it does not follow that I have therefore hit a functional limit. In fact, it's been my experience that almost all paradoxes are attributable to a flaw in the logical process itself - generally from framing a statement in such a way that not all of the necessary conditions can be reconciled adequately to one another. Anyhow, that's a caveat I can get into in my drooling-retarded fashion, but let's just stick to this particular roadblock and my attempt to sidestep it without much consideration:



4 Comments:

Blogger Sote Filpo said...

read your blog, think you'd be really interested in this website

August 5, 2005 at 9:15 AM  
Blogger cesar_et_rosalie said...

a self-programming program ( SPP ) requires a meta-space in which to do its work.

Human beings possess such meta-spaces; e.g., dream states, vision states, etc. as well as the ability to swith between "conscious spaces"; physical behavior to music behavior to emotional behavior, etc.

( I suppose it need be said that human beings "program" in different conscious behaviors: language, music, emotions, etc. and each behavior requires a meta-space)

What happens in the meta-space is usually not directly accessible. It is done (1) in a different "language" or different behavior, and (2) at a higher speed...possibly the speed of thought: electrons not intermediated by the clumsy backdrops and bulky costumes of "ideas" and "categories".

I see no meta-space in your post.

I assume this is what you refer to as a cognitive limit.

As a small and not exact sample, observe your tirade against yourself: " Anyhow, all that is really just an exposure..."
From a state of cognitive effort you jump to a meta-space of emotional behavior and utter things which have no truth-values and if they did they would be false.
But you have left the building, walked out and shouted curses against the mirror image of yourself still sweating over the problem.
The question now is: does this withdrawal into emotional meta-space have any effect? And if it were to have an effect, could this effect be construed as "re-self-programming"?

November 20, 2005 at 4:31 AM  
Blogger JK said...

The thing is, I'm quite conscious of how very unconscious I am of the unconscious operations of my conscious mind.

February 23, 2006 at 7:10 PM  
Blogger fembot said...

Dear Seductotron:
Love is a hollow vacuum
while you hybernate.

March 3, 2006 at 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home